Temple University’s Lenfest North Philadelphia Workforce Initiative (LNPWI) seeks to strengthen the earning potential of local communities by providing job training and career readiness programs that result in outcomes that lead to sustainable employment.
Our strategies are informed by our partnerships with the North Philadelphia community including service providers, community organizations, faith based institutions, employers, and residents.
Everything we do focuses on serving the eight zip codes surrounding Temple University’s Main Campus: 19121, 19122, 19123, 19125, 19130, 19132, 19133, & 19140.
Opportunities for Everyone
We seek to serve anyone who is unemployed, underemployed, or underpaid including: Youth, Adults, Returning Citizens, Individuals with Disabilities, English Language Learners, Immigrants, & Veterans.
LNPWI has partnerships with over 20 community, university, and employer partners to offer diverse job readiness and career training programs that meet the needs of all North Philadelphia residents. Partners include:
- Called to Serve CDC
- Center for Employment Opportunities
- Community Integrated Services
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos
- District 1199C Training and Upgrading Fund
- Electrical Association of Philadelphia
- Esperanza Inc.
- JEVS Human Services
- Maternity Care Coalition
- Philadelphia Housing Authority
- Project HOME
- Steppingstone Scholars
- Temple’s Center for Community Partnership
- Temple’s Center for Obesity Research and Education
- Temple’s Institute on Disabilities
- Temple’s Lewis Katz School of Medicine
- Temple’s University College
- Temple’s Center for Bioethics, Urban Health, & Policy
- Temple’s College of Education
- Temple’s Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- Temple’s Office of Community Relations
- Temple’s Pan African Studies Community Education Program (PASCEP)
- Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians
- …and more!
LNPWI by the Numbers
invested in local workforce development programs
workforce development projects for North Philadelphia funded
community-driven reports on workforce and labor in North Philadelphia published
Our Recent Posts
- Funding Opportunity for Programs Serving English Language Learners!The PA Department of Education has announced the availability of approximately $1.7 million for Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) Program grants under section 243 of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Read the Notice of Availability of … Continue reading Fostering the Power of North PhiladelphiaRead more
- Public Testimony on Labor Jobs and ApprenticeshipsHOUSE DEMOCRATIC POLICY COMMITTEE HEARING On Labor Jobs and Apprenticeships Testimony provided by: Shirley Moy, Executive Dir., Lenfest North Philadelphia Workforce Initiative, Temple University – firstname.lastname@example.org Testimony provided on: March 9, 2020 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Testimony provided … Continue reading Fostering the Power of North PhiladelphiaRead more
- Public Testimony on Temple University’s Small Business Development CenterJobs and Education Public Hearing City Council’s Special Committee on Poverty Reduction and Prevention Testimony provided by: Maura Shenker, Director, Temple University Small Business Development Center– MauraSBDC@temple.edu Testimony provided on: December 5, 2019 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM Testimony … Continue reading Fostering the Power of North PhiladelphiaRead more